Brightcove Interactivity offers two techniques for creating branching or "choose your own adventure" content.
- In-video branching - This technique uses a single video. The viewer jumps from point to point in the same video using annotations.
- Video to video branching - This technique uses a Branching Experience where multiple videos are strung together. The viewer jumps from video to video using annotations.
Both work equally well, it's a personal preference based on your production process and how your videos are produced.
Branching within a single project
Follow these steps to add branching to a project:
- Login to Video Cloud Studio.
- Open the Interactivity module.
- Click on a project Title to open it.
- Add a chapter marker at each point in the video where a choice begins (the beginning of a branch). The chapter markers will be invisible to viewers.
- For each "choice point", add a text, image or transparent overlay annotation. This is what the viewer will click on to jump to different parts of the video. Make sure the start time and duration for each of these annotations is identical.
- On each annotation, open the Link > ACTIONS tab and set the Jump to video time and select the correct chapter or enter a custom time. In this example, a transparent overlay is configured to jump to a chapter marker when clicked.
- Click Submit.
- On one of the choice annotations, open the Link > BEHAVIOR tab and set the Action to take if the viewer doesn't click to Loop back.
- Click Submit.
- At the end of each branch, add a time triggered action and set the Jump to video time to jump the video back to the "main menu" part of the video so the viewer can make another choice.